Newport Chiropractor Offers Tips on Choosing a Chiropractor
- Ask friends and loved ones if they can recommend a chiropractor.
- Talk with several chiropractors before choosing one.
- Make sure the chiropractor is licensed to practice in your state, has gone to an accredited chiropractic college and has several years of experience.
- The chiropractor should ask about your health history and your current condition, give you an initial physical examination (checking posture, reflexes, etc.), provide a diagnosis and explain your treatment plan.
- Ask prospective chiropractors how many visits over how long a period it should take before you will begin feeling better. You should feel some results in the first couple of visits. In cases of chronic arthritis or underlying spinal deformity (scoliosis, loss of neck curve, pelvic unleveling), the symptoms likely will resolve but it might take six to 18 months to reverse damage that has been present for more than 10 years.
- The chiropractor likely will advise you to come in three times per week for the first two to six weeks and then taper off. You might also receive some home exercises and stretches to expedite your treatment. The chiropractor should be willing to change the treatment if it isn’t working for you.
- Don’t fall for a chiropractor who recommends you sign up for a package of long-term treatment even before seeing how you respond to treatment. Also, if chiropractic is not the proper treatment for you, a good chiropractor will refer you to another health care professional to manage or co-manage your case.
- Ask about the doctor’s treatment methods. All chiropractors are not the same. Chiropractors vary widely in the techniques they practice. Some chiropractors only adjust the spine. Some use instruments for adjustments, others use only their hands. Others incorporate supplements and muscle testing. Chiropractors may also use electrical stimulation, ultrasound, and other modalities. The important thing is that the right technique for you is available.
- Does the doctor communicate well? Does he her she listen to your health concerns and answer your questions in a way that you can understand?
- Inquire about the chiropractic clinics’ payment plans.
- Do the two of you “click”? Do you like each other? Do you communicate well with each other? Avoid a doctor who seems rushed or talks down to you. The doctor should be your partner, not your parent.
Once you find a chiropractor that seems a good fit for you and your goals of treatment, make an appointment, and go in for your first treatment. Do not sign up for any treatment plans until you are sure the doctor is right for you.
At Wellness Choice Center, Dr. Nona Djavid is one of only six chiropractors in Orange County trained in Chiropractic BioPhysics, or CBP. CBP takes chiropractic a step further. Instead of immediate pain relief, it focuses on realigning the spine back to its normal structural alignment.
Dr. Djavid has helped thousands of Newport Beach, Irvine, Newport Coast, Corona Del Mar, and Costa Mesa, California, residents live healthier lives.
Contact Wellness Choice Center at 949-387-1333 for a free consultation and exam to see if you qualify for care.